Party Wall Matters

If you intend to carry out works on your property you need to consider if the Party Wall Act applies and take action to ensure you are fully compliant. Many people are unaware of Party Wall Agreements and do not know how to negotiate one between two adjoining properties.

A Party Wall Agreement is there to provide protection for both parties. We can help you find your way through the legislation regarding all building and planning matters.

The important thing to remember is that anyone intending to carry out works of those kinds in the Act must give adjoining Owners notice of their intentions.

We offer a free initial consultation service - this can often clarify the situation and help prevent unnecessary expense or worry. Contact us for more information.

The Party Wall Act is not quite as straightforward as it first seems and we recommend you seek professional advice on how the works on your property ought to proceed to minimise the inconvenience to the occupiers.

This can even cover simple things like:

  • Extensions
  • Damp proofing works
  • Cutting into a wall in order to take the bearing of a beam (loft conversion)
  • Some internal refurbishment
  • Structural alterations
  • Raising the height of the wall and/or increasing the thickness of the party wall
  • Very minor work such as drilling to hang shelves or chasing out to add new sockets or switches, do not require a notice.
  • In some cases excavating or constructing foundations for a new building within three or six metres of neighbouring properties will also need written agreement.